How do you write an immigrant story?
- Research your family history.
- Research the time period.
- Be careful when writing dialogue.
- Sprinkle in world events, politics, and societal conflicts that affect the immigrant experience.
- Add plenty of drama!
Who is a famous immigrant?
- Chinua Achebe (Nigeria) writer.
- Madeleine Albright (Czech Republic) politician.
- Christiane Amanpour (Britain/Iran) TV news correspondent.
- Anousheh Ansari (Iran) astronaut.
- Desi Arnaz (Cuba) actor, producer.
- Isaac Asimov (Russia) writer.
- John James Audubon (Haiti) ornithologist.
What was life like for the immigrants? Often stereotyped and discriminated against, many immigrants suffered verbal and physical abuse because they were “different.” While large-scale immigration created many social tensions, it also produced a new vitality in the cities and states in which the immigrants settled.
Why are immigrants stories important? Finally, Immigrant Stories gives students a unique opportunity to learn about immigrants from their own perspectives and to compare immigrants from different origins, eras, and life experiences.