What are immigrant stories? Immigrant Stories helps recent immigrants and refugees create digital stories: brief videos with images, text, and audio about a personal experience. The IHRC shares and preserves these digital stories for future generations through the IHRC Archives, the University Libraries, and the Digital Public Library of America.
Who is a famous immigrant?
- Chinua Achebe (Nigeria) writer.
- Madeleine Albright (Czech Republic) politician.
- Christiane Amanpour (Britain/Iran) TV news correspondent.
- Anousheh Ansari (Iran) astronaut.
- Desi Arnaz (Cuba) actor, producer.
- Isaac Asimov (Russia) writer.
- John James Audubon (Haiti) ornithologist.
What is the immigrant experience like? Relocating to a new country can be a disorienting experience. Immigrants often find themselves in a strange new world where the rules have changed, the surroundings are unfamiliar, and the inhabitants speak in strange tongues.
How do you write a migration story?
- Go where the story is.
- Get prepared.
- Focus on the people.
- Explain the context.
- Go beyond the stereotypes.
- Adopt a gender approach.
- Beware of misinformation.
- Words matter.