What are immigrant Stories? Immigrant Stories helps recent immigrants and refugees create digital stories: brief videos with images, text, and audio about a personal experience. The IHRC shares and preserves these digital stories for future generations through the IHRC Archives, the University Libraries, and the Digital Public Library of America.
How do you write an immigrant story?
- Research your family history.
- Research the time period.
- Be careful when writing dialogue.
- Sprinkle in world events, politics, and societal conflicts that affect the immigrant experience.
- Add plenty of drama!
Who is a famous immigrant?
- Chinua Achebe (Nigeria) writer.
- Madeleine Albright (Czech Republic) politician.
- Christiane Amanpour (Britain/Iran) TV news correspondent.
- Anousheh Ansari (Iran) astronaut.
- Desi Arnaz (Cuba) actor, producer.
- Isaac Asimov (Russia) writer.
- John James Audubon (Haiti) ornithologist.
What is the immigrant experience? Relocating to a new country can be a disorienting experience. Immigrants often find themselves in a strange new world where the rules have changed, the surroundings are unfamiliar, and the inhabitants speak in strange tongues.