What should you not write your college essay about?
- Controversial Topics. Controversial topics, such as current political hot buttons, should be avoided at all costs.
- Highly Personal Topics.
- Personal Achievements and Accomplishments.
- Most Important Place or a Role Model.
- Creative Writing.
- Athletic Topics.
- Humorous Topics or Jokes.
- Tragic Events.
Do colleges like immigrants? The majority of colleges will consider non-citizens for admission in one way or another; only a few schools in the U.S. specifically prohibit undocumented applicants. Some colleges, like those we’ve listed, are particularly appealing for non-citizen U.S. residents, but many others may also be viable choices for you.
What are the most common college essay topics?
- Prompt #1: Share your story.
- Prompt #2: Learning from obstacles.
- Prompt #3: Challenging a belief.
- Prompt #4: Solving a problem.
- Prompt #5: Personal growth.
- Prompt #6: What captivates you?
- Prompt #7: Topic of your choice.
- Describe a person you admire.
What should I write for my college essay?
- Write about something that’s important to you.
- Don’t just recount—reflect!
- Being funny is tough.
- Start early and write several drafts.
- No repeats.
- Answer the question being asked.
- Have at least one other person edit your essay.